Re: [RPRWG] Gandalf - question on Framing

Thanks a lot, Martin. I feel if the framing is similar to that of an Ethernet
then any test equipment with existing MAC will be easily able to grab the frame
and analyze contents. Test equipments can easily work off of any Ethertype value
such as IP, ARP/RARP, VLAN, IPX, AppleTalk, DECnet, ... and analyze packets
without any problems or modifications. The rfc1700 has a list of these
Ethertypes, and IEEE has a standard form for applying for additional Ethertypes.
I don't know why RPR would like to break this - the RPR header can also be just
like any of these other protocols. Note that Ethertype is not just for L3 PID,
it is also for other shims such as 802.1Q, MPLS, etc.

You didn't write what the _benefit_ of the SRP approach is, and what the _harm_
is in _not_ doing the way SRP is doing. I'd appreciate your help on this. To
date, any one that I've spoken to didn't have an answer and couldn't tell me why
it was done that way - except that it was done in SRP and the practice has
perpetuated now to a standards draft proposal. A description of reasoning behind
this would help all of us understand this better.

Grabbing on to CRC fields is not hard - the hard part is forcing vendors to use
special MACs for monitoring RPR packets when there is no need. Even if they must
go to a new MAC, there is no benefit they have in this unusual prefix of header
bytes.

If you could refer me to some pointers to papers that describe these benefits of
doing this non-typical framing that would be great. Would you happen to know of
some reading material on the advantages of this approach?

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

Best regards,
Pankaj