RE: [RPRWG] A question on IP over RPR

> > we have received so much customer feedback that RPR should have
> > the hooks in to allow layer 3 to control / select various things
> > like ring selection. I believe the standard should allow either
> > layer 2 or layer 3 to control it. When layer 3 knows some things
> > about what is going on below, it can make better decisions.
> >
> > mike
>
> Mike,
> When Layer 3 knows more about the what is going on below it gets
> very complex.

Oh, I agree.  With both you.  While it's not 100% clear to me that the
aggravation of re-modeling the interface as something other than a simple
Ethernet-like broadcast media, I'd be very worried about totally obscuring
those details inside the MAC.  So I'm thinking that if I wanted a simple,
Ethernet-like approach then it's pretty easy to build that if the MAC
exposes some of the complexity -- I just pretty much ignore it, except for
figuring out which ringlet to use on transmit.  OTOH, if this was all
abstracted and obscured, it would be pretty hard to do fancier version.

  -- Jim