RE: [RPRWG] Wait To Restore

Bob (and others),

I appreciate your encouragement of the P802.17 editors and also your
recognition of their hard work. Their progress is particularly
noteworthy when considering that most of them have had no previous
802 standards experience at all.

I also echo your concern that there are significant portions of the
draft that could be made clearer and easier to read. However, this
will take time. In addition, note that the P802.17 draft text is
produced by EDITORS, not AUTHORS. This distinction is actually quite
important. As editors, the team does not have the power to dive in
and arbitrarily modify large masses of text that they deem to be
unclear or unreadable. Instead, they are constrained to implement the
instructions of the WG (as expressed in resolved comments and
accepted proposals), and further constrained to refrain from making
changes that are not authorized by the WG. Therefore, quite apart
from the fact that all the editors have day jobs unrelated to improving
the draft text for P802.17, they are not even empowered to make changes
to the draft text willy-nilly in order to enhance readability.

In light of this, therefore, I have the following constructive
suggestion to the WG members. When a paragraph (or page, or subclause)
is found that is difficult to understand, submit an editorial (not
technical, please!) comment identifying the specific portion of
text to be improved, and also offer one or more suggestions for how
it can be improved. Remember that the text in question may have been
the editors' best attempt at something that would clearly express
some concept. Simply requesting a rewrite is not going to help them
produce anything better. Specific suggestions would instead help them
to understand just why a particular piece of the draft is difficult
to comprehend and how it can be fixed. The existence of the comment
would then empower them to make the necessary changes.

Please do not submit technical comments demanding readability
improvements. Technical comments have to be debated within the WG
before anything is implemented; editorial comments are normally
covered under the editorial license that is customary at this stage
in the draft. If we are forced into lengthy debates about wordsmithing
within the comment resolution sessions, there will be no time left
for dealing with the real technical issues that must be closed. (In
addition, after extended wordsmithing it is not unusual to wind up
with even more of a camel than when you started out!) If a WG member
has specific concerns about the wording of a paragraph, then he or she
should submit an editorial comment, and later get in touch with the
respective editor in order to ensure that the comment is addressed in
a proper and satisfactory manner.

Best regards,

- Tom Alexander
Chief Editor, P802.17