[RPRWG] Relay Message from Non Member

Christina,

802.17 is not an ATM technology, however, I have
posted your email to the reflector so that
someone with ATM knowledge can possibly help
you.

RPRWGers,

here is Christina's question

Hi! My name is Christina.
sorry for disturbing you.
I have two questions about ATM technology.
Please, answer to my questions.
I need your help very much.

1)why the multiplexing device sends 1 cell every T=1/PCR of a second (for
example from the given CBR connection)
and not PCR cells every second?
What's the difference?
Does the [sending 1 cell every 1/PCR of a second] have any advantage or
disadvantage over
[sending PCR cells every second]?

2) suppose we have some virtual connections.
Suppose some of them are CBR connections and the others are nrt-VBR connections.
Suppose statistical time division multiplexing is used.
Suppose at a given time a VBR connection is getting its turn, but it has no
cells to send.
And if the next (by turn) connection is not CBR connection, the cell scheduler
will give turn to that connection,
otherwise the scheduler will find the next VBR connection to give turn to it.
Am I right?

Thank you in advance.
----
  http://www.rambler.ru

--
Michael Takefman              tak@xxxxxxxxx
Manager of Engineering,       Cisco Systems