Re: [RPRWG] [Fwd: Ballot Reminder - your thoughts?]

Sam, Bob,

The IEEE Standards Style Manual is quite explicit on the usage of "shall",
"should", "may", and "can"
(plus the need to avoid ambiguity by not using other words with similar
meaning in normative text). I
quote:

13.1 Shall, should, may, and can
The word shall is used to indicate mandatory requirements strictly o be
followed in order to conform to he
standard and from which no deviation is permitted (shall equals is required
to).The use of the word must is
deprecated and shall not be used when stating mandatory requirements; must
is used only to describe
unavoidable situations.The use of the word will is deprecated and shall not
be used when stating mandatory
requirements; will is only used in statements of fact.
The word should is used to indicate that among several possibilities one is
recommended as particularly suit-
able, without mentioning or excluding others; or that a certain course of
action is preferred but not necessar-
ily required; or that (in the negative form) a certain course of action is
deprecated but not prohibited (should
equals is recommended that).
The word may is used to indicate a course of action permissible within the
limits of the standard (may equals
is permitted).
The word can is used for statements of possibility and capability,whether
material, physical, or causal (can
equals is able to).

IEEE 802 practice has also, quite recently, become fairly explicit with
regard to PICS. In general, every
single instance of the word "shall" MUST be accompanied by a PICS entry.
Every single PICS entry
MUST be connected to a "shall" in the normative text. Every single use of
the word "may" in normative
text MUST have a  corresponding optional PICS entry. Having been dinged many
times on this subject
during ballot, I plan to enforce this rule fairly strictly. (If I don't, all
that will happen is that the other groups
joining us during Sponsor Ballot will do it for me.)

Best regards,

- Tom Alexander
Chief Editor, P802.17