Re: [RPRWG] P802.17b D1_2 Multicast Conference Call Reminder

Mike,

1.  We previously had consensus of there being a
client option enabling the client to bypass SAS.  My
understanding of this option is that it would bypass
any SAS table lookups.  As a client option this would
enable frames to be bypassed on a frame by frame
basis.

Either the 2 or 4 address format was acceptable,
provided the frame did not contain the SAS learn
signature.

We also discussed an enhancement to the request_sas
option to handle multicast frames.  In this case,
multicast frames can take a form where they do not
have the SAS learn signature, but are still processed
by the group address table to allow scoping.  I
believe you proposed a couple different values for the
request_sas parameter to distinguish between when
multicast frames are learned/not-learned.

Multicast frames should follow from these same kind of
rules.  Hence, if the source of a multicast frame is
intended to be learned, the frame should have the
SASgroupAddress signature.  If the multicast frame is
not intended to be learned it should be flooded using
some other group address.  It would also be helpful to
understand the criteria in a. vs. b. on when the frame
is extended vs. not extended.  If the frame is
extended based on whether the SA equals the station
SA, then both a and b should follow from normal frame
transmission rules.

In question #3
a. Should be supported for frames which bypass the
"unicast" SAS machine.

b. Unclear on what triggers the extend for a
non-learned frame.  Is it that the SA does not equal
the station SA?  If so, then a and b should simply
follow from a frame that bypasses SAS and the
extension is based on normal 802.17 frame processing
rules.

c. Supported for frames having the SAS signature.
This should be for frames which do not bypass SAS.

d. Should be supported for frames which do not have
the SAS group address signature.

Question #6 needs to distinguish between when there is
a hit in the multicast table vs. no-hit.

If there is a hit in the group address table, then the
table should take precedence.  If there is no hit in
the group address table then the client parameter
should take precedence.

The proposed table that I had sent out earlier
reflects the precedence relationship between the
client parameters, hit in either the unicast or group
address table, Std.cleave, and setting of frame.fi.

I think we should also discuss this table the
relationship of frame.fi.

     Thanks,

     Robert