From: Achilles Kogiantis []

Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 4:30 PM

Subject: Re: stds-80220-ch-models: MIMO channel modeling info sources

Hi Ken and all,

The contribution C802.20-03/42 that was presented in Dallas last month proposed

an approach for MIMO modeling that was also used in the development of a

system-wide spatial channel model in the 3GPP and 3GPP2 bodies recently.

The link to this document is:

This document could be used as a starting point in the discussions here. It also

provides some answers to the polarization modeling that resulted from analysis

of measurement data.

Ken Allen wrote:

> Hi everyone,

> I want to touch base since I have seen only two posts to this reflector.

> I seem to remember that another channel model document was going to be

> used as the starting point for ours.  Does any one know which one it is

> or do you have a suggestion?

> I have found several published papers on MIMO channel models.  Is there

> a channel model that we have in mind at this point?

> I have found three papers on mobile MIMO channel measurements.  They

> are:

> Helmut Hofstetter, Ingo Viering, and Wolfgang Utschick, "Evaluation of

> Suburban measurements by eigenvalue statistics,"

> Proc. COST 273, 1st Workshop at Espoo, Finland, May 2002

> Ingo Viering, Helmut Hofstetter, and Wolfgang Utschick, "Validity of

> Spatial Covariance Matrices over Time and Frequency," Globecom 2002,

> Taipei, Taiwan, Nov. 2002

> Helmut Hofstetter, Martin Steinbauer, and Christoph F. Mecklenbrauker,

> "Double-Directional Radio Channel Estimation at 2GHz for high speed

> vehicular mobiles - Experimental results," Proc. WPMC'01, Aalborgk,

> Denmark, Sep. 2000

> Does anyone know of any others?

> We have some mobile multi-element antenna measurements that we have

> made that could possibly be of use.  I will process the data if it will

> be of any use.

> I am particularly interested in how well MIMO systems will work with

> handheld mobile units where there is little space for antennas.

> Presumably, polarization diversity would offer more than spatial

> diversity it this case.  Does anyone know of any applicable

> polarization diversity measurements?

> I am anxious to start working on our contribution for the July meeting.

>   What can I do?

> Ken Allen

> Kenneth C. Allen

> Wireless Program Leader

> NTIA/Institute for Telecommunication Sciences

> 325 Broadway

> Boulder, CO  80305

> Phone:  303-497-5474

> Fax:  303-497-3680

> E-mail:

Achilles Kogiantis

Member of Technical Staff

Wireless Advanced Technologies Lab

Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies

Rm.: 1A-251, 67 Whippany Rd., Whippany NJ, 07981

Tel: 973-386-4399,  Email: