From: Robert Love [mailto:rd_love@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 8:34 PM
To: Marianna Goldhammer; stds-80220-requirements@ieee.org
Subject: RE: stds-80220-requirements: Shall-Will-Should in 802.20 Requirem
ents v5 - C802.20-03-6921

Marianna, I asm in full agreement with your guidelines for the use of
SHOULD, SHOULD NOT, and MAY.

For ease in reading IEEE 802 Standards, it is recommended that the word MUST

not be used.  Instead, the word SHALL clearly and unambiguously shows that a

requirement is specified.  One of the reasons for adhering to this guideline

is that it simplifies the process of creating a PICS (Protocol
Implementation Conformance Specification).  A first pass of the PICS is
normally generated by searching the draft for "SHALL" and including those
items in the PICS.  For this reason, I would also recommend that the use of
the terms REQUIRED and  REQUIREMENT be restricted to descriptive text that
is talking about a requirement but not intended to be a sentence that
specifies conformance requirements.

Best Regards,

Robert D. Love
rdlove@ieee.org

>From: Marianna Goldhammer <marianna.goldhammer@alvarion.com>
>To: "'Joanne Wilson '" <joanne@arraycomm.com>,        "'Klerer Mark '"
><M.Klerer@flarion.com>,        "''Joseph Cleveland' '"
><JClevela@sta.samsung.com>,        "'stds-80220-requirements@ieee.org '"
><stds-80220-requirements@ieee.org>
>Subject: RE: stds-80220-requirements: Shall-Will-Should in 802.20 Requirem
>ents v5 - C802.20-03-6921
>Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:27:00 +0300
>

>  Hi,
>
>This means to use the definitions provided by me in C802.20-03/67:
>
>"MUST" or "SHALL" These words or the adjective "REQUIRED" means that the
>item is an absolute requirement.
>"MUST NOT" This phrase means that the item is an absolute prohibition.
>"SHOULD" This word or the adjective "RECOMMENDED" means that there may
>exist
>valid reasons in particular circumstances to ignore this item, but the full
>implications should be understood and the case carefully weighed before
>choosing a different course.
>  "SHOULD NOT" This phrase means that there may exist valid reasons in
>particular circumstances when the listed behavior is acceptable or even
>useful, but the full implications should be understood and the case
>carefully weighed before implementing any behavior described with this
>label.
>  "MAY" This word or the adjective "OPTIONAL" means that this item is truly
>optional. One implementation may include the item because the target
>marketplace requires it or because it enhances the product, for example;
>another implementation may omit the same item.
>
>Marianna

*********

This mail passed through mail.alvarion.com

********
viruses.
********
This mail was sent via mail.alvarion.com