From: Vladimir Yanover [mailto:vladimir.yanover@alvarion.com]
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 7:02 AM
To: 'Kapoor Samir'; 'Jim Tomcik'
Cc: 'Michael Youssefmir'; stds-80220-requirements@ieee.org
Subject: RE: stds-80220-requirements: Frame Error Rate Requirement

Hello, All
Jim's text "The Air Interface (PHY+MAC) shall include mechanisms to allow negotiating a range of latency vs. data loss/error rates subject to application types." seems close to ideal. The only possible change could be "control"
instead of "negotiation" (which is a particular type of control; e.g. configuration is another type).
Argumentation for having DiffServ [or another specific mechanism of QoS control] seems not sufficient.
We have to differentiate between "IP-centric" and "IP-aware". There seems to be a wide consensus about "IP-centric"
meaning MAC/PHY optimized for transferring traffic with characteristics similar to those we used
to see in IP traffic [bursty nature, nIPP models, ... etc.]. "IP-awareness" would mean that virtually every 802.20 device
should  operate as IP host with functions like DiffServ [or IntServ or RSVP or MPLS, ... endless list]. I don't think,
IP-awarness would gain serious support - business of IEEE 802 wireless is MAC/PHY. We may learn from another groups and concentrate on MAC/PHY with possible addition of classification of non-802.20 data units (Ethernet packets, IP datagrams etc.). Classifier looks at certain fields of IP datagram, for example, at TOS field, and decides whether certain MAC/PHY rule [e.g. lower delay with less restrictions on FER] is applicable to the datagram.
Such approach does not preclude from further development of complimentary standard that may point e.g. to DiffServ
as a recommended QoS control protocol; but such a standard should be separated from MAC/PHY specifications.
Example of complimentary standard: PacketCable [for DOCSIS MAC/PHY]

Vladimir