RE: stds-80220-requirements: Antenna Diversity Requirement, 4.1.12

I believe a similar situation exists for FDD systems as well where having
multiple antennas on the mobile terminal ought not to be mandatory becuase
of form factor, cost and processing considerations. This sentiment is also
expressed in Section 4.1.13 of the rev 6 doc reproduced below.  Also,
instead of diversity, a broader term such as "multi-antenna processing"
might be more appropriate since it encompasses the use of other techniques
as well.

"At a minimum, both the Base Station and the Mobile Terminal shall provide
two element diversity. Diversity may be an integral part of an advanced
antenna solution.
Action: Change to !§The Base Station shall provide antenna diversity.
Diversity may be an integral part of an advanced antenna solution. Antenna
diversity shall not be a requirement of the mobile station.!¨

Rationale: This requirement is a vendor specific implementation requirement,
and not related to the MAC/PHY Also this material was not introduced with a
rationale. In fact, Rev3 of the document contained the text !§Antenna
diversity shall not be a requirement of the mobile station.!¨ We should
leave it up to vendors/operators who understand the cost/form factor
tradeoffs whether they support user terminal diversity. For example, there
is a wide variety of 802.11 cards some have diversity/some do not."

Therefore, proposed new text for this section:

"The base station shall provide support for multiple antenna processing."

Rationale:  same as above

Thanks,
Samir