Re: stds-80220-requirements: Frame Error Rate Requirement

On Thu, Aug 14, Joseph Cleveland writes ...

Joseph> I suggest that the Frame Error Rate requirement on the MAC layer
Joseph> does not need to state a frame size.  The rationale is that if the
Joseph> Frame Error Rate requirement is taken in the context of the primary
Joseph> requirement for a throughput spectral efficiency greater than 2
Joseph> bps/Hz, the MAC layer SHOULD choose the most efficient frame size.
Joseph> This scenario favors the larger frame size, not the smaller.  This
Joseph> keeps the requirement "simple".

Joseph,

Spectral efficiency is a measure of useful throughput and therefore
accounts for any retransmissions due to frame errors (at least when
operating in an acknowledged mode).  If spectral efficiency is the primary
requirement here, then perhaps we do not need a separate frame error rate
requirement.

Marc