From: owner-stds-80220-requirements@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-80220-requirements@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of
Chickinsky, Alan
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 8:57 AM
To: stds-80220-requirements@ieee.org
Subject: RE: stds-80220-requirements: numbering requirements

Joanne-

Numbering will help assure we have defined requirements at the proper
"layer".  For example, in the security section there was a requirement for a
user challenge to gain access.  That is clearly an application layer
requirement.  But the derived requirement may be how many messages can be
sent before security must be implemented.  Thus my  comment to delete the
text, should have been (if we had a numbering system) change the requirement
number from a RMxxxxx to a RAxxxx, and then look at what is the derived
requirement.

But I do agree that we do not assign a number, until we get a "closure"
paragraph.  But a proposal should include a statement defining the two
letter requirement prefix, so all readers understand if a derived
requirement is needed.  If we create a requirements document with
requirements that are not at the proper layer, we will just have to rehash
previous discussions when we try to create the derived requirement.

As to David Trinkwon's comment "In addition to numbering requirements, it
would be usual to categorize each one as M (Mandatory) or O (Optional)."
Do we have to also mark requirements that are valid for when other
requirements are valid, for example TDD or FDD only requirements?

What I am really saying, how much information do we incorporate into the
numbering schema?

We could have a table that has the requirement as a row, and headings like,
"Mandatory for FDD" or "Optional for all modes". If we do not use a table,
just think of the number of combinations.  One could suggest, Q means
"Mandatory for FDD" and W means "Optional for all modes".  Without a cheat
sheet we would all be lost.

So I suggest we keep the requirement number simple with only three entries
- requirement or goal
- exists at layer x
- sequential number

But we also create a table with headings,
-Requirement Number
-Requirement Title
-Mandatory
-Optional

I realize as we go further into the requirement process, the column headings
will increase or change.

Alan