Re: stds-80220-requirements: comments on rev5 - Channel bandwidth resolution

Hi all,

I agree with Mark Cudak, David Trinkwon and Fujio Watanabe's
comments throught the various discussion about channel bandwidth
requirement.

Fortunately 802.20 don't have any restriction of backward compatibility
because of new WG. I think we should turn our eyes not only to "existing
band" (i.e. 1.25MHz, 2.5MHz, 5MHz, N*1.25MHz ) but also "wider future
band" (i.e. 10MHz, 20MHz,.  ,100MHz,..).   100MHz  too early?

Although "existing band" is also one of the applicable band,
I think that we should not limit channel bandwidth to a multiple of
1.25M/2.5M as requirements, as I'm afraid some excellent solutions for
achieving attractive MBWA systems will be eliminated.
Therefore I'd like to define 1.25 MHz, 2.5 MHz, 5 MHz, 10 MHz, 20MHz etc
bandwidth without restriction of a multiple of xxxMHz and "granularity"
word.

I believe that 802.20 will be an exellent system optimized for IP packet
communication on full mobility envirionment.

Best Regards

Daichi Imamura
Panasonic

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 16:01:04 -0700
"Fujio Watanabe" <fwatanabe@ieee.org> wrote:

> I support Mark Cudak and David Trinkwon's comments.
>
> Since a broad bandwidth is the current trend of mobile communications, a
> broad channel with a bandwidth as that of used in 802.11, i.e., 20MHz should
> be one of the concrete value. The 100MHz channel is too broad to discuss at
> the moment. Accordingly, I would like to work on the solutions of the 802.11
> bandwidth.
>
> Now, let's review the comments on "available" bandwidth segmentation of
> licensed bands below 3.5GHz that has been discussed earlier. People from
> different countries mentioned the specific frequency allocation based on
> that country's regulations. As we all know, most countries have different
> frequency allocations for mobile communications before the universal
> frequency band was allocated to IMT-2000 systems. However, since the 802.20
> is going to develop an international standard, I don't think it is rationale
> to create a standard that will only meet one specific country's regulation.
> For example N * 1KHz may cover regulations of all countries, however, this
> will be meaningless and out of our interest.
>
> Accordingly, as I proposed in my earlier comments, we need to come up with
> concrete values that are independent of any country regulations. The values
> should then be used for an evaluation purpose. If we like to apply the
> standard to one or more specific countries to meet their regulation
> requirements, we might need to establish special Task Groups like TGh and
> TGj in the IEEE802.11 in the future.
>
> Based on the above, I support Mark's proposal to define 1.25 MHz, 2.5MHz,
> 5MHz, 10MHz, and
> 20MHz bandwidth for the evaluation purpose.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Fujio Watanabe
> DoCoMo USA Labs

!!!!! Please change my e-mail address in your e-mail software !!!!!!!
  Daichi IMAMURA
  R&D Center, Panasonic Mobile Commuinications, Co., Ltd.
  5-3 Hikarinooka, Yokosuka, 239-0847, JAPAN
  TEL: +81.46.840.5631 (dial in)   FAX: +81.46.840.5222
  E-mail: imamura.daichi@jp.panasonic.com
  Intra-office Post#: 350-152
  Extention number: 7-350-5631