From: owner-stds-80220-requirements@majordomo.ieee.org [mailto:owner-stds-80220-requirements@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Steve Crowley
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 9:34 AM
To: David Trinkwon; Klerer Mark; stds-80220-requirements@ieee.org
Subject: RE: stds-80220-requirements: comments on rev5 - Channel bandwidth resolution

I agree with David for the reasons he states. I support the proposals for channel bandwidths from 1.25 Mz to 20 MHz in the requirements.

Regarding concatenation of smaller-bandwidth channels, I note that an operator might not want to be required to implement "wider channel bandwidth . . . supported by deploying (N) x (Basic Bandwidth)", due to reduced capacity caused by (depending on the technology used) guard bands between the concatenated channels, and redundant common channel structures in each of the smaller channels, such as for pilot signals. Deploying 10 MHz and 20 MHz bandwidths conguously allows reduction of both inefficiencies, resulting in more data available to the user.

I would also like to add that 3G technologies in 3GPP and 3GPP2 continue to evolve and may soon exceed the assumed 1.25 MHz performance characteristics for the MBWA system that were used for the PAR and Five Criteria. This could result in the MBWA system specification failing to meet the tests of Broad Market Potential and of Economic Feasibility in the Five Criteria, resulting in lack of approval by RevCom. Thus, I believe we need to look at the performance improvements that can be had through the use of wider bandwidths.

As an example, consider 3GPP2's 1xEV-DO (also known as HRPD, HDR, IS-856, and C.S0024). The next revision of that system, Revision A, is now under development in 3GPP2 and is scheduled for completion in December 2003. There are several proposals to improve that 1.25 MHz system which include the following  specifications:

Peak downlink data rates to 3.072 Mbps
Peak uplink data rates to 4 Mbps
Uplink capacity comparable to downlink capacity resulting in a symetric system
Latencies on the order of 10 ms

(See, e.g., 3GPP2 contributions C30-20030414-067 (QUALCOMM MAC proposal), C30-20030414-068 (QUALCOMM Forward-link proposal), and C30-DOAH-20030428-015 (Lucent reverse-link proposal).)

After Revision A is completed, one can expect consideration to begin of the next version of 1xEV-DO (Release B), with further improvements.

Best regards,

Steve Crowley
DoCoMo USA Labs

-------