RE: stds-80220-requirements: Network Access Requirements Sec. 4.1.16.1

I agree with Michael's concern about man-in-the-middle attacks.  Also, we are seriously hoping that we should be able to
use the upcoming 802.20 standards for aeronautical communications at the airport.  By aeronautical, I mean communication
between aircraft and ground system for air-traffic control and airline operational control.  In this application, the
wireless network is likely to be operated by the airline, or the airport authority or a trusted network service provider
(which is not likely to be the provider of hot-spots in the airport).  Even with a trusted network operator, the civil
aviation and the airlines are very concerned that an attacker can cause a lot of harm to the aircraft by masquerading as
a valid ground system.  Therefore, we would like to see cryptographically strong, mutual authentication capabilities
where both the network and the client (mobile station) can authenticate each other.  Because aircraft tend to move all
over the World, we would prefer a certificate-based authentication scheme rather than simple password-based challenge
response.

Regards,
Aloke Roy
AES Center of Excellence
Communications & Surveillance Technology
HONEYWELL
7000 Columbia Gateway Drive
Columbia, MD   21046-2119

TEL:  +1 (410) 964-7341