RE: stds-80220-requirements: 802.20 Requirements: Handoff - 2

Alan,

The reason for the IEEE 802 (and ISO Reference Model) layering is to
keep us out of the invent-it-all territory.  You can't get
interoperability that way.

There are several ways to get 'hand off' which is a rather squishy term:
	- gateways (today meaning layer 7).
	- routers (layer 3)
	- bridges (layer 2)
	- repeaters (layer 1)

Gateways are clearly beyond scope.  (Historical note: in early ARPANet,
the term 'gateway' was often used to refer to routers (which hadn't been
invented yet); you still see that definition pop up, e.g. on IP address
assignment panels where the 'default gateway' (which is really a router)
needs to be fingered).

Routers are themselves beyond scope but the interface to them is not.
IEEE 802.2 provides that interface in the SAP so if .20 uses the .2 LLC
you get it in the mail.  Layer 3 handoffs are properly in the MANET
working group in IETF.

If you use the .2 LLC you also get the layer 2 bridging capability. I'd
regard this as out of scope but your mileage may differ on the point of
transparency of handoffs.  I'd suggest that rather than trying to fix
such problems within .20, these problems, if present, should be referred
to the 802.2 committee as they should be present with handoffs between
any local/metro network, not just .20 ones.

That leaves the issue of layer 1 repeaters that properly stays within
scope.