RE: stds-80220-requirements: Spectral Efficiency (4.1.2)

Title: RE: stds-80220-requirements: Spectral Efficiency (4.1.2)
You are correct that my intention is to define a way to evaluate spectral efficiency in a consistent manner.

In the case of cdma2000, the individual channels can be placed directly adjacent to one another but there
is still a required guard band on either end of these channels.  For 1900 MHz systems, the guard band
on each end is typically 625 kHz, for a total of 1.25 MHz.  Thus, for a single cdma2000 carrier the total
spectrum requirement is 0.625 kHz + 1.25 MHz + 0.625 kHz = 2.5 MHz.   For 2 carriers, the total
spectrum requirement is 3.75 MHz and for 3 carriers the total is 5 MHz.  As you noted, the requirement
may be less at 450 MHz but there is still a clear requirement for some guard bands and this would impact
the calculation of spectral efficiency.

For UMTS, the chip rate is 3.84 Mcps so the basic bandwidth requirement is commonly quoted as
3.84 MHz.  This would be the -3 dB bandwidth or, rather, the equivalent noise bandwidth.
I do not know what you refer to in terms of modifications for the US PCS bands.  The 3GPP standards
do include the definitions and specifications for the 5 MHz frequency blocks that are part of the bandplan
for the US PCS bands.  The 3.84 Mcps carrier completely fits into the 5 MHz block since there is "extra"
space on either side.

The bottom line is that the spectral efficiency calculations should be done as consistently as possible.
From a network operator's perspective, what interests me is what spectrum efficiency can I get in a
certain amount of deployed spectrum (including guard bands).

The alternative approach would be do use only the carrier bandwidth without any guard bands.  However,
in this case, for example, the UMTS bandwidth would be 3.84 MHz rather than 5 MHz.

David Shively