Re: [802.21] contributions for upcoming May 2004 meeting - L2.5 Concrete Model ?

On 5/4/2004 2:11 PM, Johnston, Dj wrote:
> This is true. I think the scope for success or failure in this scenario
> depends on a number of factors. I certainly think 802.21 has the ability
> to deliver the information needed for a smooth handoff. A fast handoff
> requires some predictive information.
>
> In contrast, I am in a cube within propagation distance of 4 research
> projects doing wacky things with 802.11, a qualification lab and an
> actual useable 802.11 network. My laptop has a real problem deciding
> which one to use, especially when the signal to the non useful nets is
> much better than the useful net. My laptop could really use information
> on which networks it should ignore, which one it should attempt to
> connect to and what VPN client it should run for any particular network.

This seems to be a deployment issue since a 802.11 card would be configured to
Tx/Rx on a specific ESSID at any given point in time.

> There's also bluetooth and GPRS available to me, with manual selection
> on my part. Again 802.21 could enable a policy driven engine to pick the
> right interface.

Yes, this policy driven engine would be an answer to the correct
make-before-break selection.

-ajay