From: owner-stds-802-21@listserv.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-21@listserv.ieee.org] On Behalf Of Mani,
Mahalingam (Mahalingam)
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 11:19 AM
To: STDS-802-21@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802.21] triggers vs. O/S

If we assume dedicated L2 devices we need to identify transport and
protocol (a) for external apps. (read higher layers) to register
interest in trigger events (b) percolate trigger events up as alerts
back to the those external apps.

In specific cases where the layers are co-resident on a single device
such an interface may be inconsequential.

-mani

Linux or
> Solaris or Java than on CE or XP or NT. That delivery might be signal
oriented or
> method oriented or an ABI within the OS network stack for example.
>
> Do you feel that we can /cannot define anything in the standard about
the locally
> determined triggers?
>
> Best Regards,
> Michael Williams

depend on
> special features
> provided [or not] by OS vendors. Probably, there are more scenarios on
the
> table?
>
> Vladimir

[...]