RE: discovery vs. discovery

From my understanding it seems
1]Network Discovery and
2]Informational Discovery
could discover similar type of information. But the way they do would do it may be quite different. The terms may not be the most intuitive from that perspective.

1] Network Discovery.
This would be through more traditional Media Sense.
A mobile terminal (MT) with an 802.11 radio through native media sense mechanisms could discover information about 802.11 network and access point capabilities, etc. (e.g. 802.11 site report). Same thing could apply to an 802.16 radio and so on. The MT has to cycle through all its radios and use native media sense mechanisms for each radio, to get information about all networks (Network Neighborhood) present.

2]Informational Discovery
In this case it may be possible to use one radio and get information about all other networks and their capabilities through the use of possible 802.21 extensions. Thus in this case an 802.11 radio in a MT could communicate with an 802.11 AP (which is enabled with 802.21 extensions....) and get information about all other networks available. The 802.11 radio would continue to use existing 802.11 MAC and transport mechanisms (with some possible enhancements) and retrieve the entire Network Neighborhood type of information for all radios without sequential media sense through all MT radios. 802.21 can define in this case
a]Media independent information structure
b]Requirements for MACs and transport mechanisms to deliver this information..in a media independent manner:
Of course the information structure specified by 802.21 can be a superset of what is already available through [1] and could include other handover elements as described by Cheng below. The information may be carried in beacons or other management frames, but that mapping/analysis for each L2 media would likely be done in their respective WGs as already pointed out.

Best Regards
-Vivek

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-stds-802-21@listserv.ieee.org [mailto:owner-stds-802-21@listserv.ieee.org] On Behalf Of Cheng Hong
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 1:27 AM
To: 'Reijo Salminen'; Michael.G.Williams@NOKIA.COM; STDS-802-21@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: RE: discovery vs. discovery

Hi Reijo, Michael, and all,

I think it would be good to first draw the line clearly between the network
discovery and the information discovery.

What sorts of information should be classified as the the network discovery?
Is it just the discovery of the identity of the network, maybe also the
network behind it (as in the WLAN interworking discussion)? How about the
network capabilities? Would they be for the network discovery or the
information discovery? For example, when talking about the QoS information,
as defined in .11e, certain parts of the QoS information are also available
in the beacon.

Another possible way to separate them would be from L2 and L3. Network
discovery only provides info regarding L2, and information discovery would
be regarding L3 info. I remember a few delegates mentioned about this in the
teleconf. But I am not sure this is the concensus for the group. And, this
seems also regards to how we look at the 'neighbourhood information'.

Regarding the 3GPP/2, it might be very difficult to ask them to change their
L2 to accommodate the .21, especially currently they are not yet looking at
seamless handover to/from .21 to their cellular network. But, I think for
most of the functions we discussed here, they already have corresponding
mechanisms available.

As for the 3GPP standards mentioned by Reijo, the TS22.234, 23.234, 24.234,
33.234, (29.234 - may not be relevant)are WLAN interworking standards.
Therefore, WLAN mechanisms would be reused (they won't define a new WLAN
standard). Since these TS are still under development, official LS to 3GPP
would be helpful. Also, it could be directed to .11 WIEN group for
discussion, since the they are specifically working on WLAN to 3G
interworking.

cheers

Cheng Hong