From: owner-stds-802-21@listserv.ieee.org [mailto:owner-stds-802-21@listserv.ieee.org] On Behalf Of NJEDJOU Eric RD-RESA-REN
Sent: 26. heinäkuuta 2004 16:50
To: Michael.G.Williams@NOKIA.COM; STDS-802-21@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Requirement Document posted

3.12 Handover Policy

It is said "Terminal Initiated Network assisted handofffs should be given preference since the mobile terminal has knowledge of all the networks an applications running on the device".

I do not agree here as it can also be argued that Network Initiated terminal assisted mode brings the possibility for the nework to select the best available access network for the terminal according to link utilization and Access Point load information it has and which the terminal doesn't. Just letting the terminal have the final decision could then result in handovers to access network where the user will experience severe service degradation because it had ignored such information.

Comment: This does not necessarily have to be so that the terminal is not aware of the situation at the AP and vice versa. Let us assume that we can agree upon a characteristic that would describe the situation at the STA and AP and which could be used as one information source for handover invocations. (This characteristic would optimally be common for all access technologies.) Then if that characteristic is agreed upon, it should be quite simple effort to build a management protocol to transfer this information between the AP and STA when needed, for example during the operation at certain intervals (which has to be studied very carefully so that the throughput of the links are not sacrificed) and what maybe is more focused on what Eric is concerned above – in an early phase of the negotiation procedure where the STA is establishing connection to the AP. An example of such a management protocol approach can be seen also in the ITU-T Q.714 SCCP – and in some other places.

Also the characteristics of the radio links have a very dynamic behavior, especially if the STA is in movement – and also different access technologies have different capabilities to support the terminal mobility (velocity), these issues must be carefully studied. Also we should keep in mind that what we today see as a terminal might in the future be itself a mesh network consisting of a plurality of devices connected with WPAN (eg 802.15.3/4, Bluetooth, zigbee etc) and some of these devices have capabilities to communicate with certain access networks and some with other access networks and some with none. An example of such a network would be the case where we have removed all the cables we have in our home entertainment gadgets and replaced them with WPAN – and also added the communication devices into the same WPAN. This situation is closer than one might think, and the handover mechanisms should be flexible enough to handle this kind of situations also. The 802.21 will exist quite many years once it is created.

What I try to explain is that it is not so simple to say that the NW initiated terminal assisted HO is superior to terminal initiated NW assisted HO – there is quite many things to be considered here.

I agree with Eric that at the requirement document it might not be an optimal situation to give priorities to different approaches, maybe it would be better to wait until the detailed technical investigations of the different approaches have been performed, and thus more information is available of the pros/cons of the approaches, and then decide upon the preferences of them. We are not in that position today.

Therefore i will suggest just evocating different possible initiationt/assistance handover modes within the requirements Document without mentioning preference on any of them. This preference should rather be let at the discretion of the hanfover policy function that can reside either on the terminal or the network.