From: owner-stds-802-21@listserv.ieee.org [mailto:owner-stds-802-21@listserv.ieee.org] On Behalf Of Reijo Salminen
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 5:16 PM
To: 'Gupta, Vivek G'
Cc: stds-802-21@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: RE: Ad hoc group on evaluation - Soliciting contributions to developing Usage Models/Scenarios

We are talking about the same thing here – our starting point is the existing legacy and 802.21 is developing optimizations on the existing handover mechanisms or facilitates a handover in those cases where there is no handover mechanism available in the legacy. These optimizations can lead to amendments that the specific groups within IEEE will carry out further, with help of active liaisoning between 802.21 and the respective groups. 802.21 is responsible within IEEE to develop a standard that specifies unambiguously (within the scope of 802.21 as stated in the PAR and the requirement specification) the above mentioned handover optimizations and ensures that the existing legacy is also supported. 802.21 is also responsible to ensure that the media specific amendments are also interoperable within the scope of 802.21, including the performance considerations of the standard.

This is a tough task, and in order to reduce the lead time of the development of the 802.21 standard, it is better to start working with this activity early. It could also lead to other synergies if planning of this activity and the development of the standard are performed in parallel.

BR, Reijo