RE: Action item For 01/05 Meeting

Alan et al,

It is interesting to look at the various handoff schemes mentioned on
slide 3 (Station Initiated Station Controlled (SISC), Station Initiated
Network Controlled (SINC), NISC, NINC, etc.) and examine the impact of
these on different work items proposed in CFP:

a] Information Service (IS):
It does NOT seem that the IS shall be impacted much by the type of
handover scheme chosen from above.
b] Event Service:
Same here.
c] MIH Function:
Believe the biggest impact is in this functionality and the type of
handover scheme chosen from above impacts the signaling between MIH
Functional entities on the station and network side.

If this is the case then this understanding should be captured in
Evaluation Guideline document as it might affect the way proposals are
grouped together. If NOT, then let's understand clearly what are the
other implications here.

Also slide 3 mentions/defines "Full Proposal" and it seems that it shall
be treated differently than other cases during down selection. This
needs to be clearly explained as well in Evaluation Criteria.

This now brings us to a further examination of [c] above. The different
schemes mentioned above (SISC, SINC, NISC, NINC) basically reflect on
the type of coupling between different networks and deployment
scenarios. Some of these schemes may not work well (or require extensive
changes) with certain types of networks. For example NINC may not work
well (or require extensive changes) for networks operating in ad hoc
manner in unlicensed bands.
Should 802.21 dictate, recommend or preclude a certain type of handover
scheme between two networks? Should/Can 802.21 change basic structure or
operating mode of certain networks to support a certain type of handover
scheme?

One other thought that was tossed around in the last teleconference was
that 802.21 should support all the above handover schemes. We can go
through that exercise and identify the possible media specific
amendments for different networks, due to these schemes. But then these
amendments are controlled by media specific groups and in certain cases
it's possible that they may not happen for certain handover schemes for
a certain media (group may resist drastic changes to basic structure and
operating mode of a network). What happens to 802.21 in such cases?

Comments, thoughts and any discussions welcome.
Best Regards,
-Vivek