From: owner-stds-802-21@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG [mailto:owner-stds-802-21@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG] On Behalf Of Iyer, Prakash
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 2:18 PM
To: Subir Das; STDS-802-21@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: RE: [802.21] Interface of MIH with Upper layers

I suggest that the group discuss and agree on the following:

* What '802.21 compliance' means? Normative anything would only apply in such a context.

* Triggers like Link Up, Down etc. are being defined on the MAC SAP following principles mentioned below. I am still unclear what this MIH layer really delivers. Before arguing over that SAP being normative or not, the group ought to agree on the precise definition, interpretation and compatibility assumptions for the MIH layer.

It does not seem appropriate or necessary to imply a certain specific implementation strategy for upper layer protocols (consumers/sources of .21 information). Maybe this is where folks are confused over what MIH is and isn't. Once that is sorted out, details such as what the MIH SAP is, what's normative across it etc. should become obvious.

-Prakash