Re: [802.21] MIH Signaling

On 1/19/2005 12:50 PM, Gupta, Vivek G wrote:
> Hello 802.21 Folks,
>
> Much has been mentioned about MIH Signaling in several proposals.
> However many of us are still trying to get a clear understanding of
> this.
> So some clarification would be preferable.
>
> We already have support for Event Service(ES) and Information Service
> (IS) in MIH. As part of these two services certain messages/packets get
> exchanged between station and network attachment point entity.
> So as for MIH signaling:
> 1]Are any other type of messages/packets exchanged between station and
> network attachment points (apart from IS and ES)? What are these
> messages?

Peretz: Are you classifying polices from home network to station as IS type?

> 2] As part of MIH Signaling is there any other communication with
> higher/lower layers that is different than (IS/ES) messages/packets?

Peretz: Command/directive from MIH to layer 3: send MIP advertisement. Would you
classify it as ES? Does command to send advertise = event? not necessarily.

> Also different networks may already support homogeneous mobility in
> certain way. For example 802.11 (with TGr support) primarily supports
> SISC (station initiated station controlled) handovers. 802.16 supports
> both (SISC and NISC (network initiated station controlled..etc.))
> handovers, while cellular systems may have support for (NINC) type of
> handovers. As part of support for this homogeneous mobility these
> networks already have support for any L2 handover signaling that may be
> required.

Peretz: Only within their homogeneous layers and BS.

> For heterogeneous mobility, if (802.21) adopts a handover mechanism
> (SISC, SINC, NISC, NINC, etc.) for a network which is more in line with
> what may already be used by that network as part of homogeneous
> mobility, then we are more aligned with the general network architecture
> (for heterogeneous mobility as well) and may not need any new handover
> specific L2 signaling (apart from ES and IS messages/packets).
> What do you folks feel about this?

Peretz: can't apply the homogeneous approach to all access technologies.
Example, homogeneous may apply soft handoff signaling where two uplink frames
from each leg are evaluated. Here, across access technologies we don't have such
concept. So the HO signaling for heterogeneous technologies must be different/