RE: [802.21] transport layer for MIH IS.

Hi, David,

Please find my inline reply.

Regards,
Ajoy

Stefano,
When do you expect .21 to be deployed? We already have 802.3, 802.11, and
3GPP/3GPP2 technology been widely commercially used, and the product with
multiple wireless media interface is merging, so I believe the market expect
to have a standard like 802.21 ASAP, right? I believe how quick this
standard can be commercialized and how easy to this standard be implemented
in current or early future network is important for .21 to be success.

Regarding the scope, I just afraid that if we don't give some guideline or
specification, it will bring the confusion and complexity for actually
implementation, e.g the ST uses one IP application to transfer SI to .11
network, then handovers to another network(.16),it uses MAC management
message for IS, and then if handover to another .11 network with using .11
L2 layer for IS. What a mess it will be.

Regarding IP layer, I don't mean we create another IP protocol, but a IP
application, such as Telcordia & Toshiba proposal to use SIP. So, we don't
need to deal with IETF but we can define ourself.

AJOY-> IETF has already defined a protocol called Candidate Access Router discovery (aka CARD) that can be used to exchange the capability between subscriber MIH and infrastructure MIH. I would request you and others' to look at the possibility of using CARD for L3 MIH transport. The CARD draft is available at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-seamoby-card-protocol-08.txt

CARD has been approved by IESG for publication as an experimental RFC.

Regarding the robust of L2, e.g. for a situation, the IP connection or IP
service is unavailable, but ST still can communicate with network with its
L2.

David