Re: [802.21] transport layer for MIH IS.

On 1/25/2005 5:10 AM, Mike Moreton wrote:
> Vivek,
>
> Thanks - that makes sense.  In which case an IP transport is definitely not
> an alternative.

Not as the scope of 802.21, but still very viable for IS transport within IETF,
or maybe as VSA of the AAA protocol.

> Am I right in saying that there may be two parts to this?  Some sort of basic
> information transfer that happens before authentication (but must be limited
> in scope due to the lack of authentication), followed by an ongoing protocol
> exchange.
>
> The former must be embedded in L2 protocols (e.g. 802.11 management frames)
> while the latter can be encapsulated in L2 (either via an ethertype, or in
> UDP/IP).

In our Lucent proposal and so proposed by others, new Ethertype is defined for
802.21. This could also carry UDP/IP IS IEs between MIH entities.