Re: [802.21] transport layer for MIH IS.

Mike and others,

I am not sure there has to be a transport issue for MIH. (As others have pointed out, we are
at this point still not entirely sure what this MIH layer really delivers. But I really hope
that we will never have to face the issue of selecting a transport for MIH.)

Depending on how we evolve it, MIH can be either made into a pure local layer (i.e., it only
interacts with its upper and lower layers), or a full-blown communication layer/endpoint
(i.e., it can have own peers and can originate and consume messages). If the latter case,
the design and implementation complexity of MIH would multiply, since once you start to
originate and consume messages you will have to deal with message loss, retransmission,
queuing and buffering, traffic/congestion management, timer management... and other horrible
horrible issues. IMO we should try at all cost to avoid making MIH into an endpoint itself.

If we succeed in refraining ourselves from making MIH into a full-blown endpoint, we also
would save ourselves from the trouble of picking a transport for it.

regards,
-Qiaobing