From:   owner-stds-802-21@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG [mailto:owner-stds-802-21@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG]  On Behalf Of ext Greg Daley
Sent:   Tuesday, March 15, 2005 12:52 PM
To:     STDS-802-21@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject:        Re: [802.21] Question today about upper layers

Hi Peretz,

----- Original Message -----
From: Peretz Feder <pfeder@lucent.com>
Date: Monday, March 14, 2005 10:47 pm

* Greg:

> I am of the opinion thet MIH commands lower layers to switch a link
> and in
> conjunction inform upper layers to take care of the IP signaling
> over the new
> selected link.
[SFa] I am afraid that this implies that the decision to perform handoff is taken by the MIH function. If it weren't so and an upper layer were the one making the decision, why would the MIH function need to inform upper layers to take care of the IP signaling? I believe this needs to be clarified.

I think this is a valid situation.

It would be nice to feed enough information to
L3 that it could ask you to connect to a
particular L2 base-station too.
[SFa] Indeed, with the assumption that the decision to connected is from the upper layers (not the MIH).

> Example switch 3gpp2 to .11 interface and make the MIP signaling at
> layer 3
> perform MIP re-registartion with the new COA and old MIP address.
> So I am with you.
[SFa] this again shows how the intention is to have the MIH direct and control how handoff is performed.

> The counter argument will be what if moblity is done at the
> Application layer?
> i.e. SIP mobility?
[SFa] good point, that's why it should not be the MIH to make the handoff decisions, but the upper layers.

I think global end-to-end signalling may not
need an interface the the MIH... (please note the
'may')

until DNA is widely deployed, though it's
a fairly likely scenario that multiple
subsytemes will register for indications.

Where it's likely that predictive indications
(link-going-down) are available other systems
for gaining prior knowledge of change at L3
will also be present.

These may or may not have capabilities for
end-to-end mobility signalling such as MIPv6 or
SCTP.

Greg