Re: [802.21] Question today about upper layers

Dear Peretz,

On 23/03/05 05:31, "Peretz Feder" <pfeder@LUCENT.COM> wrote:

> I would agree accept that 3GPP/3GPP2 thought me otherwise, see embedded.
>
> On 3/22/2005 6:43 AM, Hong-Yon Lach wrote:
>> Let's change a bit the aspect of the discussion...
>>
>> About standardization:
>> - An element (information, protocol, function, etc) needs to be standardized
>> ONLY IF its behaviour and/or format needs to conform to an agreement (for
>> interoperability).
> PF: You mean interoperable test to verify interoperability.
>
>> There are conformance testing of protocol
>> implementations, but there are no conformance testing for SAP
>> implementations (although well-know APIs can be specified and implemented).
>
> PF: fine, yet 3GPP and 3GPP2 defines every internal SAP and every internal bit
> very precisely. An apparent overkill that proved to be fast accepted by
> 3GPP/3GPP2 vendors than traditional IEEE vendors who take many years to adopt
> and require Wi-Fi or WiAmx alliances to help them sort out the extremely vague
> options listed in typical IEEE standards.

HYL: Please see below...

>> - The SAP is a means in standards to describe the abstract relationship
>> between a service user and the service provider in the adjacent layers in a
>> reference model of a protocol stack. It is NOT used to describe (protocol)
>> exchanges between systems. It does NOT dictate any implementation of the
>> layers and APIs. The SAP describes the essential abstract primitives
>> (request, response, indication, response) with their associated parameters
>> (formats and semantics) between the service user and service provider. How a
>> SAP is implemented could be specified in an API, which decides how to
>> express the SAP primitives in function calls and methods (synchronous,
>> asynchronous, callback, listening, etc), and may include other elements
>> associated with specific software design, OS, and programming language.
>
> PF: Yet, 3GPP and 3GPP2 see it differently and painstakingly provided
> extensive
> description of internal interfaces and in the process created many additional
> layers below IETF layer 3 (IP).

HYL: There is no contradiction here. SAP is a means to clearly describe an
abstract interface between adjacent layers in a protocol stack reference
model. It does not matter what and how many layers you create. It is a tool
for clarity. As you know well, 3GPP/3GPP2 specifies very complicated
complete systems, it is normal and necessary to structure rigorously the
3GPP/3GPP2 stacks (with well-defined layers and SAPs). The definition of a
SAP is very important because it specifies what services the upper layer
expects from the lower layer, and allows the functions and protocols to be
developed independently in each layer.

Cheers,
Hong-Yon