Re: RE: [802.21] On the MIHEP initiative in IETF

Title: Samsung Enterprise Portal mySingle
[ I am omitting all ietf list from this response ]

.21 folks.

What do you think about MIHEN ?

Frankly speaking, I don't understand why MIHEN is needed

in ietf, that can cause very flexible trouble between .21 and

ietf in my understanding.

This activity is definitely different from ietf liaison.

copied from somebody response;

" If 802.21 WG develops MAC-specific protocols in

parallel with an IP-based protocol, there will be lots

duplicate and unnecessary effort. "

That is my concern and it's a natural ietf aspect.

========pasted=======

Hi, Michael,

If there is a IP-based protocol, it will solve the problem at once for all L2 technologies.

Nowadays, all wireless network technologies are moving forward to IP. In particular,

802.11 and 802.16 support IP from the beginning. Furthermore, if you want to allow

any location of the information service entity in the network side, there is no other

choice but to take IP as transport. If 802.21 WG develops MAC-specific protocols in

parallel with an IP-based protocol, there will be lots duplicate and unnecessary effort.

From the implementation point of view, a mobile node might have to contain multiple

protocol entities for the same function (eg. IS over 802.11 MAC, IS over 802.16 MAC

and IS over IP). Why do you want to do that? Regards,

Regards

Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)

Mobile Platform Laboratory. SAMSUNG Electronics