From: Stefano M. Faccin [mailto:stefano.faccin@NOKIA.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 12:02 PM
To: STDS-802-21@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802.21] 802.21-3GPP2 Interoperation Telecoference MoM

Ulises,

I have a few additional comments on the slides:

- slide 3, "Ensure that 802.21 requirements be considered within other standard bodies ": this statement presumes that 3GPP has to respect 802.21 requirements. From 3GPP point of view this may be a strong presumption. Since I think the burden is on 802.21 to get its concepts accepted by 3GPP, we cannot expect a good reaction to such a statement.

(Ulises Olvera) I agree, I will re-state accordingly.

- slide 4: The current picture may generate confusion. I think it is wrong to describe figure 4 as the MIH model, since it represent s only part of the model. I would show a model where both an MIHF in the terminal and an MIHF in the network are visible, and keep this slide indicating it is for MIHF in the terminal. I think we need to keep in mind that large part of the audience does not know anything about 802.21. The slides (e.g. use of terms) seem instead to assume that 3GPP has good understanding of 802.21. E.g., by seeing figure 4 one may think this refers to the function in the network, and by seeing that the MIH Function is above UTRAN and GERAN "Link Layer" one may think that there would be a new interface towards WLAN in 3GPP RANs, to exchange measurement reports and commands between accesses. One may then conclude this makes no sense for 3GPP, since it would introduce a new interface in existing RANs that many people in 3GPP think would be practically impossible. A!

 gain, my suggestion is to clarify things as much as possible to avoid confusion. We need to sell these concepts to 3GPP, therefore the burden is on us to make them understandable and appealing.

(Ulises Olvera) Your points are valid. We need to agree on a model that can satisfy these concerns, yet keeping it simple. I’ll take a ‘stab’ to a revised model and I will include it for discussion within tomorrow’s conference.

- I think it should be made clearer in the slides that 802.21 focuses only on inter-technology handoff (e.g. 3GPP-802.11), and is not meant to apply to mobility within 3GPP-specific access technologies

(Ulises Olvera) A statement clarifying this will be added.

- I think that the slides without e.g. a couple of example scenarios would be very difficult to read and understand by 3GPP people.

(Ulises Olvera) Valid point. I propose to use 3GPP defined scenarios to construct the examples. I will include a couple of examples for review.

Stefano