RE: Teleconference schedule for the next two months

That is my understanding as well, in the requirements document it was only
mentioned in the assumptions, that "In the future other 802 based wireless
interfaces such as 802.20 may also be supported."

The main reason why I raised this question is the following press release:

BR, Reijo

22.06.2005

Finland chooses OFDM for a wireless broadband network

The Government of Finland has granted an operating licence to build a new
digital mobile communications network. Flash-OFDM was chosen as the
technology for the network. This is the first time in the world the
technology will be taken in extensive use in mobile networks.

The Government granted the licence to Digita Oy on 22 June 2005. The network
will be built using the frequency released from NMT 450 service.

Digita will be a network operator only. A condition is attached to the
licence according to which it has to lease the network to all service
providers on equal conditions.

Ms Leena L u h t a n e n, Minister of Transport and Communications, says
that this decision will implement the national broadband strategy's focal
points on promoting mobile broadband.

Minister Luhtanen believes that this choice of technology is progressive
even on international scale.

Alternative technology option was CDMA. OFDM has originally been planned for
Internet use, which is considered to be its advantage. For example in phone
calls the VoIP protocol is being used.

Digita is committed to build the network in three stages. The first stage
includes sparsely populated areas, such as Lapland and Eastern Finland, the
archipelago and coastal areas. That will be completed in September 2006.
Nearly all of Finland will be covered by December 2007 and the last shadow
regions by September 2009.

Altogether seven operators applied for the operating licence. Five of them
offered OFDM technology.

For further information please contact:
Mr Antti Kohtala, Director of Unit for Networks and Competition, tel. +358
500 812 505

(the original can be found from http://www.mintc.fi unfortunately a direct
link did not work so I copied the whole article here)