Re: [802.21] Discussion on Information Service

All,

I think this discussion is very important at this point. Indeed, we have
talked about the scope and other issues before (a lot), but for one I am
not 100% satisfied with what we have concluded. I have also heard from
multiple sources outside of 802.21 that the current scope of 802.21 is
both too big and ambiguously defined. For example,

     - provide generic link layer intelligence and other network
       related info to upper layers to optimize handovers between
       heterogeneous media

It is easy to argue that 802.21 is in a good position to provide generic
link layer intelligence to upper layers for handover. But for providing
"other network related info to upper layers" for handover, I am not so
sure. People can rightly question why we think 802.21 is better suited
than other mechanisms/protocols in providing network info to upper
layers for optimizing handover.

regards,
-Qiaobing