Re: [802.21] Discussion on Information Service

I fear the commenter is missing the entire objective of IEEE 802.21.

It is the function of 802.21 to be exactly what the commenter is intimating
(at least from the air interface side): a media independent method of
exposing the lower layer (PHY & MAC) information elements of air interfaces
(802.16, 802.11, 802.??, etc...) so that higher layer handover policy
managers can use the information to prosecute handovers; and to take the
resulting actions of handover policy managers and translate them into
appropriate air interface transactions. The entire objective of 802.21 is to
create a common information language so that handover policy managers do not
have to have differentiated mechanisms and language to work with each of the
air interface types. Also,  802.21 has the added benefit of helping air
interface groups adding mobility to their standard by highlighting necessary
information elements, metrics, and triggers typical for handover.

So 802.21 is supposed to do exactly what the commenter seems worried that it
is doing.

Thanks,
Phillip Barber
Huawei