Re: [802.21] Discussion on Information Service

What I am a little frustrated (and probably I am not the only one who
feels a little frustration) is the lack of progress in 802.21 in
general. And I think the root cause of this is due to a lack of focus
(overly ambitious) and the absence of a clear schedule or milestones
(phase1 - scope/deliver date, phase2 - scope/deliver date, ...).

There is really nothing wrong with making 802.21 into as general a
solution as possible (e.g., for "any mobility protocol", support
"handover between any media types", deployable in "any network type",
"in any device", ...) But in terms of engineering this is a very high
goal, a grand vision which I don't believe we can achieved in a single step.

We must have a phased plan - we must break this grand goal into smaller
tasks, prioritize each tasks, and set milestones. For example, phase 1
may give us a limited solution (only cover a few cases; but not exactly
the "any for any" solution some of us are talking about), but we must
make sure it achievable within a predictable time frame. Then, phase 2
will get us one step closer to the "any-for-any" vision, and so on.

Right now I don't see that happening.

regards,
-Qiaobing