Re: [802.21] HLSI

First of all, thank you everyone for discussing this level of details.
This is a good discussion.  Please see my comments below.

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 04:41:10PM -0700, Gupta, Vivek G wrote:

> [...]

To me this is a sort of flexible query.  In such a case, you can
specify some filter in a query to fetch only network types from a
neighbor list of all networks.  You can also specify another filter to
fetch a neighbor list containing PoAs of a specific network type only.
To know whether a neighbor list is available for a given network type,
you can just make a query for a neighbor list for the network type.
If the query fails, then you will know a neighbor list is not
available for the network type.

For TLV-based query it might be difficult to specify such filters.
Then, as you mentioned above we may need to define different TLVs for
"List of Networks Supported", "Neighbor_reports_Available" and
"Neghbor reports", but those TLVs are actually generated from the same
source of "Neighbor List".  I'd say this is a downside of the use of
non-schema-based query.  My personal take is that when TLV-based query
is used, we should give up making flexible queries, otherwise, TLV
definitions can be redundant or complex.

> Similarly,
> Roaming_list_Available should be Roaming List (i.e., a list of roaming
> operators, not just a flag).
> [Vivek G Gupta] Sure..Will this list be on a per network basis or will
> it be common for all networks?

I think it should be per-network basis, as each network may have
different roaming partners.

Yoshihiro Ohba