RE: [802.21] HLSI

-----Original Message-----
From: Subir Das [mailto:subir@research.telcordia.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 7:52 AM
To: Gupta, Vivek G
Cc: Yoshihiro Ohba; STDS-802-21@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802.21] HLSI

>Besides that we should also discuss whether media-specific security

>parameters should be defined in basic set or extended set.  I think

>they should be defined in extended set in order to avoid definition of

>tons of media-specific TLVs in the 802.21 specification.

>[Vivek G Gupta]

>The network technology independent IEs are quite few. Based on current

>discussions we are left with:

>{ Operator (that provides access to IS),  List of Networks Supported }

    [Subir]  I would say exactly the opposite.  Technology independent

IEs will be larger than

                technology  dependent  IEs.

 [Vivek G Gupta]

As discussed this morning the values of many of these IEs tend to be access network specific.

However these IEs may not impact the access network standards directly and so in that sense they may be access network independent.

>The values of most of other IEs are network technology dependent:

>{ Operator,

>  Cipher_Suites,

>  Authentication_Methods,

>  Cost (free/not free),

>  List Of Roaming Partners (Agreements),

>  IP_Version,

>  Data_Rates (range),

>  QoS Supported,

>  Neighbor_Maps,

>  HLSI capabilities

>}

 [Subir]  Operator (depends upon how we define), Cost, IP-version, List

of roaming partners,

             Neighbor-Maps (depends upon how we define), HLSI

capabilities all should be

             under media independent list.

[Vivek G Gupta]

Again same comment as above applies. Cost, list of roaming partners, HLSI may have values that are different for different access networks.

>In a very generic scenario the steps in querying information can be as

>follows:

>Step 1: Query the list of networks in an area

    This should be media indepenednt way

>Step 2: Query set of properties (listed above) for each network.

    This could be  media independent way as well.

>Step 3: Query specific neighbor reports and any other extended detailed

>information

     This  should be media specific way.

>>From a basic set perspective we just identify the key IEs that need to

>be supported by different network technologies. Their values are likely

>to be technology specific and hence it probably is not such a good idea

>to club them together etc. Clients could query these IEs for specific

>networks using common query mechanism and expect results in consistent

>format across different networks. The individual network standards could

>be amended so tat the 802.21 Info server (however it is deployed) could

>easily obtain the above parameters from different access networks.

>Other IEs that need to be supported could be vendor/operator/ or network

>technology specific and we could just make a provision for their

>transport.

>So not sure if we really need to get into basic/extended schema set type

>discussions and also of trying to collate values of different IEs across

>different network technologies.

  [Subir]   We need to definitely  discuss this after we agree upon the

basic IEs. Defining them in the basic

                and  extended sets  will give  the  vendor/operator

felxible ways to add/define  new IEs.