TR: FW: [802.21] Comments on Ref. Model

On behalf of Mathieu Péresse

-----------

Hi all,

sorry about not having taken part of the discussion earlier...

Our General Ref Model (ref (1)) aims to be comprehensive and simple, maybe at the expense of accuracy...
As Andrea says, this model can be refined and adapted to show the real internals of one (or more) specific technologies.

-> Answers from Kalyan's comments:

[MP] The reason why we put a "Management box" in the lower layers "metabox", was because each technology has its own management plane, and
it was too dificult to make it appear on the figure. So the layout means, the MIH can interact with the data plane of each available technologies AND
with the management plane of each technologies... There may be a better way to represent that.

[MP] I think the Lower Layer transport and Higher Layer Transport boxes are not needed this the concept of "service transport" is carried in the black arrows (L3 transport) and  in the grey arrows (L2 transport).

[MP] We wanted to show that Events and Commands could be bidirectionnal, that means Commands could also control higher layers and Events could be sent from an higher layer to the MIH. This is going to be discusses in the comment resolution.

-> Answers from Ulises' comments:

1) Ref (1) shows the transport of MIH services between Lower Layer at
the network side and 802.21 MIH function as a local interface. However
there are other cases to consider. For example, in ref (3) we show this
scenario as the collocated case. However we also show that these
services can  transported over higher layer transport or layer 2 as
well.

[MP] OK, but that justs add complexity in the picture.

Furthermore in ref (3) we stress that at the network side there is
no direct communication between 3GPP/3GPP2 lower layers and the MIH
function.

[MP] That's a valid point. Maybe we should clearly isolate the 3GPP/2 world from the 802 world in the figure.

2) In ref (3) 3GPP and 3GPP2 communicates toward a MIH Network Entity
using higher layer transport. This is not described in ref (1)

[MP] In our diagram, the MIH Network Entity is located in the Upper Layer box on the Network Side.
But we didn't made any assumption on the kind of software entity that was running there.

3) Ref (1) shows communication from MIH function in the client station
to its peer at the Network through a higher layer transport. This is
consistent with ref (3). Then the interface goes through what it is
referred to as 'Higher Layer' before it communicates with the MIH peer.
This is very similar to ref (3) for case where the interface goes
through the MIH Network Entity (e.g., the Upper Layer being part of the
MIH Network Entity). However the scenario where just a L3 interface is
used to communicate between two MIH peers is not described. This is
depicted in ref (3) as double-headed arrow that goes from MIH to MIH
simply using a Higher Layer Transport.

[MP] Yes this is described, but indirectly: you go from the MIH on the Terminal side, use the "local interactions"
white arrows to interact with higher layers (for example a Media Independent Measurement Report you want to send using layer 3),
then this message is transported using L3 (the black arrows) and passed to the network side upper layers, who pass it to the MIH entity using the "local interactions" (white arrows).

Regards,

Mathieu