RE: [802.21] Ad hoc telecon for Nov 29th

Stefano,
Thanks for your response. Please see my in-line replies and comments.

>- Higher Layer Requirements for the MIH Function to "function properly"
>(things that will involve higher layers but that do not deal
>with the MIH
>protocol itself: discovery, capabilities...)
>
>=> I am not sure how the MIH Capability Discovery related stuff can be
>classified to the Higher Layer Requirements. Isn't definitely
>within the
>scope of MIH protocol itself? Please take a look at Section
>8.4.1 & 8.5.1 of
>the current spec., D3. It's already defined here. Please let's do not
>consume our energy by re-inventing the wheel on what is
>already defined.
I believe that nothing in the draft is cast in stone until the draft is
released as approved. That is normal IEEE process. If there are parties that
believe something in the draft may not be 100% ok, I do not see why we
should not keep the discussion open.

=> Sure, I am definitely not trying to close the discussion.  :-)   However,
excluding the consideration of what is defined in D3 is not a good way. I
believe that the baseline of our discussion should be originated from the
currently defined spec., D3. Until this time, I did not hear any good
rational and explanation what is missing and needs to be amended regarding
this discussion from the current defined MIH Capability Discovery from D3.
Thus, it would be helpful if I can hear your pin-pointing out what needs to
be amended. Maybe, you can try to amend the current spec., D3 in the future
meeting by submitting comments if you would like to make any amendments
regarding MIH Capability Discovery. This is the first step to be more
productive, I believe.

>Could anyone kindly let me know where this gab in understanding the MIH
>Capability Discovery stuff comes from? Am I miss-understanding
>or missing
>something here?

I believe the misunderstanding is not so much on what is or not in the
draft, but what is the of the draft content on higher layer requirements.

I **do not believe** it is realistic for any form of L3 transport to have
the discovery of MIH functions (e.g. even just their IP addressed) built in
the MIH protocol.
=> Do you believe or not? I am confused. I thought you believe.

That is the equivalent of telling IETF that for the MIH specific purposes we
are not using any of the proven existing discovery solutions designed in
IETF and we're introducing a new one.
=> Is there any discovery protocol defined in IETF which fits the purpose of
MIH capability discovery? Absolutely not! We did not introduce and do not
introduce and will not introduce any protocol which needs be standardized in
IETF regarding MIH protocol itself. We are here in IEEE 802.21. :-) As a
side note: There is no work item for capability discovery in the current
IETF MIPSHOP charter. Aside from the on-going discussions, what do you
expect by including a requirement about MIP capability discovery in the
requirement documents of MIH info/command/event services? Are you intending
to re-try including this MIH capability discovery to the **future** MIPSHOP
charter? Or do you believe that the work of MIH Capability Discovery is
already included in MIH event, command and information support items of
MIPSHOP? Please let me hear what you have in your mind. I believe the work
about MIH protocol which includes the MIP Capability Discovery is accurately
the job of IEEE 802.21 group.

I doubt that would fly in IETF. As for capabilities discovery, that can
definitely be built in the protocol.
=> So we just need to sharpen the existing MIH Discovery Protocol which is
defined in D3, Whether the MIH protocol use layer 2 transport or layer 3, we
only need one firmly defined MIP protocol which includes MIH Capability
Discovery, right?

--Junghoon