PoS/MIH registration ?

Hi all,

I would like to initiate a discussion about PoS/MIH registration.

In the draft, there is some material about Events registration, for interested layers to "subscribe" to a list of events.

However, there is nothing about the registration to the MIH (or PoS): once a PoS/MIH has been discovered, shouldn't the terminal
perform some sort of registration procedure with the discovered PoS/MIH ?? One reason to do that would be security (for example if there is no
registration mechanism, a malicious person can build a software that emulates a PoS and send MIH Commands to several Mobile Terminals, and make them unusable)

I think PoS/MIH registration could be handled by the MIH Protocol itself (whereas, as was discussed on another ML thread, discovery could be handled by another mechanism).

By the way, the current draft says MIH Function discovery mechanism at Layer 3 is outside the scope (section 8.2.3 page 97).
I guess this makes sense because discovery of the MIH Function will be different at L2 and L3 and the mechanism will be adapted to
the "transport" technology (for example L2 can use broadcast for discovery, L3 cannot, etc...). However, once reachability (L2 or L3) has been set up between two MIH peers (through the discovery process), the MIH protocol can be used to do the registration (MIH registration and possibly events service registration). Then the MIH messages (events, commands, information) can be exchanged between the peers.

To sum up, a possible "bootstrap" scenario for an MIH enabled Mobile Terminal would be :

(0/ PoA Attachment + IP Configuration)
1/ MIH/PoS Discovery
2/ MIH Registration
3/ MIH Capabilities Discovery (which events and which commands the serving MIH function is able to handle) (in both directions ??)
4/ MIH Event Registration (in both directions ??)
5/ Operational (ready to receive/send events)

(I am not sure that the order is correct, or if some steps could be done together, or if there are some other steps to go through, etc...)

Only 2/ 3/ and 4/ would be the job of the MIH Protocol and thus would be independent of the "transport" technology.
1/ would depend on the technology (L2 or L3) that we intend to use for MIH Protocol transport... (for L3 use an IETF mechanism, for L2 use probe/beacon for .11, etc...)

Comments are very welcome.

Regards,

Mathieu

PS: In this email I am more focusing on "what" to do, rather than "where" and "how" to do it.