RE: [802.21] Update on SAPs

Junghoon,

Comments below.

<clip>

> > in section
> > > 7.
> > System/Network Mgmt
> > >
> > > Could you elaborate the above mentioned generic link layer?
> > > In my first understanding only with above description, it
> > seems like
> > > an **abstract** link layer which hides the different features of
> > > underlying link layers.
> > > Therefore, this MIH_LINK_SAP is changed to a kind of media
> > independent
> > > SAP, not a media dependent SAP.
> > > BTW, current D4 defines this MIH_LINK_SAP as a media
> > dependent SAP for
> > > 802.11.
> > > Let me make one more question to clearly understand the exact
> > > definition.
> > > What's the relationship between the generic link layer and media
> > > specific *real* link layer?
> > [Vivek G Gupta]
> > As was said in a previous mail, the idea is to identify
> > interface of MIH with a generic link layer that can be used
> > as a reference. We then use this reference SAP interface to
> > figure out differences with other media specific technologies
> > and what we need to add/amend in these different link layer
> > technologies (events/commands/etc.). Yes MIH_LINK_SAP has
> > been shown as media specific SAP only for 802.11 in draft version
D4.
> > Instead of MIH_LINK_SAP it should be the MLME_SAP for 802.11
> > and MIH_LINK_SAP can be the generic interface. In most cases
> > (at least for
> > 802 technologies) we shall be modifying existing media
> > specific SAPs as opposed to adding nay new ones.
>
> Thanks for clarification.
> If so, I think major key work needs to be done is how to map media
> independent primitives of MIH_LINK_SAP
> to media dependant primitives of media dependant SAPs(for an example,
> MLME_SAP of .11).
> I guess that it is not possible for all the primitives of MIH_LINK_SAP
can
> have their corresponding media dependent primitives.
> Any good idea or hints for this? Should the generic link layer perform
> some
> magic(mapping, converting, adaptation)?

[Vivek G Gupta]
I am not sure this is "major key work that needs to be done" at this
point, at least for 802 technologies. Most of this has already been done
for 802.16 and if you follow the requirements doc for 802.11 most of
this is already there as well. This change is more of a reorganization
at this point to better represent the SAPs and primitives in our draft
and their relationship to media specific technologies.
We shall discuss the changes for 802.11 in our Jan telecon.