RE: [802.21] Ad hoc telecon for Dec 13th

From: Peretz Feder [mailto:pfeder@lucent.com]
Sent: Monday, December 26, 2005 9:33 PM
To: Gupta, Vivek G
Cc: STDS-802-21@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802.21] Ad hoc telecon for Dec 13th

Happy new year dear MIHers:

The IS discussions consistently (over many sessions) ignore that fact that IS servers belong to service providers. I yet to see a business case of a wireless user who is not identified with a service provider at any given point of connection. Yes, it could be different service provider at every connection instance. Even low cost WLAN hotspots ask a user to register first (and sometime pay).  Once registered through hot spots/cellular service provider, a user will have access to the service provider IS. On behalf of the user, the provider's IS server may query info from IS servers of other providers, but this is now SLA territory which is no different than any other SLAs agreements (example V-AAA to H-AAA).

If you to wear a deployment scenario goggles, I believe most will agree that IS registration is not required, it is implied when the MIH service is available.

so to the question:

[1] Why don't we need registration for IS? Should the MIH enabled
Information Service server start providing service to any UE without
registration?

I say yes, if you are connected to a MIH enabled service provider (hence registered or authenticated by it), it better provides you access to its IS server, otherwise why bother to become a MIH compatible provider?

[Vivek G Gupta]

We may need to clarify what is meant by MIH registration here. If you are already connected to a MIH enabled service provider (hence registered and authenticated by it) then you certainly don’t need another level of MIH registration.

Peretz Feder