RE: [802.21] IETF Drafts

Title:
Ajay,

From: ext Ajay Rajkumar [mailto:ajayrajkumar@lucent.com]
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 7:59 AM
To: STDS-802-21@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802.21] IETF Drafts

It seems that the discussion stems primarily from two issues.

1. Whenever 802.21 in the past, has spoken about sending official requirements or the problem statement that would be covered by the 802.21-IETF liaison, we have been told that an IETF WG does not take requirements from an external SDO. However, the sentiment on the MIPSHOP reflector seems to indicate otherwise and participants do seem to want to know the official view. This is very encouraging.
[Stefano] indeed. We actually have just made a minor amendment to the charter so that we now have a problem statement draft, so that the requirements coming from 802.21 can have an official home in MIPSHOP.
 Stefano

2. The authors of some of these individual drafts have taken special effort to explain and emphasize to 802.21 WG that these drafts do not want to be restricted to the 802.21 problem and want to address a much broader scope. With that in mind, could one could get a tacit approval of the WG? Also, what would the approval be for - drafts as they stand or the subset of the draft that matches the current understanding of the .21 problem statement?

For the 802.21 WG approval, may be the larger scope first needs to be sufficiently motivated within the .21 membership.

Best Regards,
-ajay

Srinivas Sreemanthula wrote:
Yoshi,

I am afraid some people including myself do not share the same
view as yours on this matter.  Please see the last slide of
attached IETF Liason Report that was presented in Denver
meeting.  I confirmed with Ajay about the content of the
slides before I present.

I agree that it is applicable only if one asked if there are any
objections to these drafts. At that point, presenting as individual
draft was okay. I am bringing this discussion due to the comments I saw
in MIPSHOP ML about what official poistion 802.21 has about this.

But saying something that may be different from others view is
even worse.  That's why I am responding as a liaison to IETF.

I see there is interest to disucss more about these drafts in the WG. I
am encouraging to start the discussion now about what is and what is not
aligned with .21 view. We may not be able to update the draft by next
week but we can make exceptions when we present the drafts in MIPSHOP.

Regards,
Srini