From: Andy Sago [mailto:andy.sago@BT.COM]
Sent: 30 March 2006 10:21
To: STDS-802-21@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802.21] 802.21 Letter Ballot #1

Vivek

Although I am not in the ballot pool, I would like clarification of one clause in the Letter Ballot instructions. It would be good to have things right before the ballot starts, to avoid procedural problems later. The sections is:

"4.1.1 75% Return Rate

The ballot will not be considered successful if less than 75% of the ballot group members return a vote. If this return rate has not been achieved by the specified closing date, the ballot may be extended by the WG Chair. If extended, the ballot may however be closed immediately when 75% return rate has been reached."

Although 75% return rate would be excellent and an achievable aspiration, the LMSC Policies and Procedures only require 50%. Raising this to 75% for 802.21 would set a precedent. On February 16th Ajay wrote: "To forward a draft standard or a revised standard to the Executive Committee for approval for Sponsor Ballot Group voting, a letter ballot (or confirmation letter ballot) must be done first within the Working Group. A 75 percent approval of the Working Group confirmation letter ballot is necessary with at least 50 percent of the members voting." Has the group agreed to raise the requirement to 75% of the members voting, in contradiction of the P&P?

Note that if the 75% figure is changed to 50%, it also needs changing in clause 4.3.

I may be able to attend the teleconference today if it is still taking place. I have not received bridge details, but also I am not an 802.21 member so understand if I am ineligible.

Regards
Andy Sago
OneIT
Lead Consultant Wireless Mobility