Re: [802.21] Comment resolution effort

Michael, Peretz,

Officially appointing a core group to resolve comments is definitely not allowed under the IEEE processes.  All comments are submissions to the WG, and so their resolutions have to be voted on by the WG (actually, a quorum of the WG).

Michael is right that the group discussing the comment resolutions is a (frequently small) subset of the overall WG.  But the usual official way to get this subset together is to hold teleconferences and/or interim meetings.  These meetings are open to all members -- though I have yet to find one official interim meeting or teleconference that has a quorum of the WG in it.  So the resolutions that the group proposes will still have to be voted on by the overall WG, but the vast majority of the work is done by the subgroup.

On the other hand, any ad-hoc group can form itself and work out any comment resolution proposals that it wants to forward to the overall WG.  And such an ad-hoc group can even make a call to all of the WG members to join.  But such an ad-hoc group isn't officially constituted by the IEEE.

The most I've seen done in an official 802 meeting is for the WG or its leaders to suggest that various ad-hoc groups (say, to work on Section 7, Section 11, etc.) form themselves and work on comment resolution proposals, to call for leaders of the various ad-hoc groups, and even to recess during the normal meeting periods for the various ad-hoc groups to work.  If  the ad-hoc groups choose to meet at the same time, this automatically makes for much smaller comment resolution groups.

For Peretz's midnight meeting, I suggest that it be located in a bar.  At least that way we'd have the feeling that we accomplished a lot.

Hunter