From: Qiaobing Xie [mailto:Qiaobing.Xie@MOTOROLA.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 1:18 PM
To: STDS-802-21@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802.21] FW: [DNA] Review of
draft-ietf-dna-link-information-03.txt

> If we want to create just an ID that does not help in
> routing/addressing, then I think a globally unique identifier with
> some cryptographic property would be the ideal, and we could consider
> compromises less than that.

If 802.21 link ID is only for identification purpose by the MIHF that
controls the link, then the ID can be assigned by the MIHF and only
needs to be unique under the MIHF. E.g., MIHF (ID=12345) has three links
(IDs=1, 2, 3) with their respective state=(up, down, going_down).

Here, since we have the concept of link_down, it kind of implies that we

are defining link as an endpoint (a downed link has no meaningful peer).

Of cause, an external entity can refer to a link by the MIHF-ID/link-ID
combination.

In the iab draft, it also says,

> "... Each link endpoint has a unique link-layer identifier. "

which seems to imply that iab's link-layer ID is also defined on the
endpoint.

regards,
-Qiaobing