Re: [802.21] Issue #6 Which operator should we expose in IEs? (doc: 21-06-0667-00-0000_Comment Assignments)

Junghoon Jee wrote:

>Hello,
>
>During the teleconference, there was a discussion about the issue #6,
>"Which operator should we expose in IEs?".
>
>As I mentioned in the call, here is a terminology definition from the
>IETF MIP6 Bootstrapping work,
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-spli
>t-02.txt.
>I hope this would clarify the terminology of the used _operator_ and
>makes a progress.
>
>        ASA
>            Access Service Authorizer. A network operator that
>            authenticates a mobile node and establishes the mobile
>node's
>            authorization to receive Internet service.
>
>        ASP
>            Access Service Provider. A network operator that provides
>            direct IP packet forwarding to and from the end host.
>
>        MSA
>            Mobility Service Authorizer. A service provider that
>            authorizes Mobile IPv6 service.
>
>        MSP
>            Mobility Service Provider. A service provider that
>provides
>            Mobile IPv6 service.  In order to obtain such service, the
>
>            mobile node must be authenticated and prove authorization
>            obtain the service.

Clearly, the above definitions (specifically the last two) are specific
to a mobility protocol. However, they surely could be generalized to
accommodate different mobility protocols.

At the same time, even from these definitions, it is evident that there
is a possibility that the "access provider" may NOT be the same entity
as the "mobility service provider". So at the minimum there are two
providers in the chain, which does not preclude the possibility that
they be managed by the same entity.

>Ajay,
>Could I grasp the usefulness of exposing the core network operator's
>IEs?

In my view, "core network operator" loosely can be interpreted as the
"mobility service provider", i.e., the operator that owns the user.

However, if one has to look at the most general case of the entities
involved in providing a service to an end host they would be as follows:

- Access Service Provider
- Mobility Service Provider
- "Services" Provider

Each of the above typically has some level of
Authentication/Authorization functionality and depending on the the
network some of these AA functionalities may be optional at an
implementation/deployment level.

Also, these Authentication/Authorization functions could be delegated to
an independent entity. However, in the current networks typically this
is not delegated.

Bottomline, the most general case could involve six independent
entities. Considering that AA functionality may be integrated by the
provider, three entities may still be involved.