Re: [802.21] Limit response message length

Hi Angelo,

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 11:55:52AM -0000, Centonza, Angelo wrote:
> Hello Yoshihiro,
>
> I agree with what you say: in TLV the prioritisation could be done on
> the basis of the order IEs are requested.
>
> However, I think there would be the need to specify within the .21 specs
> how and according to which principles the overall filtering process is
> performed.
> Just to mention one case that would need support from the specifications
> and that is not a mere implementation issue, we could consider the case
> where IEs labelled with high priority are still filtered out from the
> query response due to the presence in the IS database of several
> instances of them.  In this case it should be specified how and whether
> the STA can re-request the high priority IEs that were filtered out
> without formulating a new query that asks for the whole set of IEs
> again.

SPARQL does have a mechanism to specify the maximum number of entries
to be returned in a response and a mechanism to specify an offset
entry number to start with in subsequent queries.  These mechanisms
allow an querier to make the first query for the first 10 matches and
then make the second query for the second 10 matches, etc.

> Moreover, I am not sure if we can extend the concept of prioritising IEs
> depending on the listing order of IEs in the query message to all query
> languages.  There could be cases where the query language formulates the
> query according to e.g. the hierarchy of IEs in the IE tree.  In order
> to generalise the concept of prioritisation we would need to make sure
> that IEs priorities can be clearly detected in all possible cases.

SPARQL does not support prioritized query, but I don't think we need
prioritized query for a query language if it provides a bunch of other
useful filtering mechanisms.

Also, prioritized query would need to have a mechanism to indicate
whether an IE was not included in a response because it was cut off
due to prioritization and size limitation or the IE was not simply
found in the database.  This would require more complexity in TLV
query.  I think complexity-efficiency analysis is really needed.

Regards,
Yoshihiro Ohba