From: ext Alper Yegin [mailto:alper.yegin@yegin.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 3:25 AM
To: 'Anurag Uxa'; 'Telemaco Melia'
Cc: STDS-802-21@listserv.ieee.org; mipshop@ietf.org; 'Vijay Devarapalli'
Subject: RE: [Mipshop] DHCP

	There have been already proposals using DHCP for 802.21 services

	discovery.

	The DT is currently considering different scenarios and
associated
	requirements targeting a single solution.
	This might change if complexity increases too much.

I don't understand why designing one protocol that does three things
(IS, ES, CS) is better than using an existing protocol (DHCP) for what
it has used for (configuration [IS]), and designing another protocol
that takes care of the other two (ES, CS).

I'm not aware of any technical reason that requires all three
functionalities to be bundled up in single protocol. And in fact, I see
reason to separate them. It is an accepted scenario that ES and CS are
taken care of by the L2 in some networks, leaving IS to L3.

Comments?

Alper